Connecting with faith communities on the front lines of climate change
Carbon Covenant is a program that links faith communities in the Global North and South in a common commitment to curb global warming and help mitigate its impact on vulnerable people.
Through carbon covenant relationships, Interfaith Power and Light congregations are supporting faith communities on the front lines of climate change impacts.
These faith communities are directly addressing the number one source of carbon emissions in the developing world: deforestation. They are protecting forests from illegal logging and poaching; promoting alternative, sustainable livelihoods; and reforesting degraded lands.
Join us in building solidarity with developing world faith communities, as they address climate change and build a sustainable future.
- Reducing illegal logging in the protected Monks’ Community Forest
- Helping ensure poor village communities benefit from the sacred forest
- Inspiring others to conserve trees, the sacred “symbol of life”, through their hands-on work Learn More >>
Stop Desertification in Cameroon
- Plant 100,000 trees over three years in all the 10 regions of Cameroon.
- Ensure water catchments in communities are protected and developed.
- Raise environmental awareness about tree planting with local Presbyterian churches Learn More >>
Restore Deforested Lands in Ghana
- To educate and create awareness on the need to conserve the forest resources at least among 60% of the project communities
- To introduce alternative livelihood schemes to 60% of unemployed youth and women
- To encourage the adaptation of energy conservation practices in heating to 60% of women Learn More >>
Plant 3,000,000 Trees on Kilimanjaro
- Establish 30 tree nurseries, distribute seedlings and plant nearly 3 million trees to reforest open spaces and water sources and restock wildlife
- Provide education on the environment and conservation
- Promote integrated environmental approaches, such as organic farming and strategies to reduce pesticides and chemical fertilizers Learn More>>